Base Ball.

Yesterday afternoon, for the first time, the candidates for the 'varsity nine were able to play on Jarvis a short scrub game. The ground in the infield was well rolled and not very soft, but in the outfield it was very hard to play, the mud being very soft and deep.

Only two innings were played, as it will take two or three days for the men to limber up. The batteries were, on the first nine, Walton, from the Medical School, as pitcher, and Cobb, catcher; on the second, Dinsmore, '93, from the junior nine, as pitcher, and Walker, '95, from the freshman nine as catcher. Highlands was out and played right field for the second nine, but did not pitch. Hovey was out for the first time, and played at his old place at short stop. Keefe was busy coaching all the time, and a number of graduates watched the practice, among the most prominent of whom was Dr. Harold C. Ernest, '76, who pitched on the 'varsity for that year.

The nines were made up as follows: the first, Walton, p.; Cobb, c.; Dickinson, 1b.; Frothingham. 2b.; Cook, 3b.; Hovey, s. s.; Mason, 1. f.; Hallowell. c. f.; and Corbett, r. f.; the second, Dinsmore, p.; Walker, c.; Fearing, 1b.; Lowell, 2b.; Whittemore, 3b.; Quigley, s. s.; Paine, 1. f.; Gray, c. f. and Linfield, r. f.

The game was played with six out, and the plays were often made over again, to practise the men. Little attention was paid to batting, but nearly all the time was spent in team play, and individual work. Notwithstanding that this was the first day, the all round play was pretty good. Frothingham played at second, a much livelier game than last year. Hallowell and Corbett fielded well, and for a new man, Whittemore's play was sharp and clean, and his throwing very good. At third, Cook needs much improvement on yesterday's playing, to make his work satisfactory. Cobb threw pretty well to bases, but is still a little stiff. Another practice game will be played this afternoon, soon after 2 o'clock, if the weather permits.