Method of Assigning Rooms at Yale.

The chief points of the Yale method of distribution are these. Whenever a room is assigned to a student, he may retain it till the end of his course, or may give it up at the end of any academic year and draw for a choice again. An allotment of vacant rooms takes place in June,- the classes drawing for choice in order of seniority. The drawing is for choice of room, and not directly for the room itself. No one can dispose of his choice, or of his room. If any one is dissatisfied with his choice, he can drop out altogether, and take a room in town, or if he wishes at any time during the year to give up his room, he gives notice to that effect to the locating officer, who assigns it by lot to some of the applicants for vacant rooms. At the annual drawing for choices, the applications are made upon the official cards, and those of the senior class being first received, the cards are drawn by lot and placed in sealed envelopes with the number of the choice marked upon the outside of each. A list of vacant rooms is posted upon the official bulletin boards. The persons having the first choice may have any room upon the list, and the number is at once reported to the locating officer in writing, or by a blank for that purpose. No envelope is opened till the preceding choice has been located. This makes it impossible to exchange choices.

Members of all the departments, except the academic, are not subject to this system, as there are not rooms enough on the campus to accommodate them; but that is no peculiarity of the system as such.