Fourth Annual Report of the American School at Athens.

Professor J. W. White, as chairman of the managing committee of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, has just issued his annual report. It is addressed to the Council of Archaeological Institute of America. The death of Prof. Lewis R. Packard, of Yale, one of the Directors of the School, has crippled the management. Referring to him Prof. White writes: "The Committee feel keenly the loss that classical studies have sustained in the death at middle age of a man in whom were united in happy adjustment such thoroughness of training, high scholarship, independence of opinion, and ready and sympathetic appreciation."

The past year has been marked by the publication of the first volume of Papers of the School, under the supervision of Prof. W. W. Goodwin and Mr. Thomas W. Ludlow, Secretary of the Committee. This volume, containing 262 pages, represents the work of the school in 1882-3. The following papers make up its contents: 1. Inscriptions of Assos, by J. R. S. Sterrett. 2. Inscriptions of Tralleis, by J. R. S. Sterrett. 3. The Theatre of Dionysus, by Jas. R. Wheeler. 4. The Olympilion at Athens, by Louis Bevier. 5. The Erechtheion at Athens, by Harold N. Fowler. 6. The Battle of Salamis, by William W. Goodwin. This volume is the first of an annual series. The material for the second volume is ready, and its publication is expected in the course of the coming year.

Exploration has been largely the work of the school. Dr. Sterrett has made several expeditions and his collections of inscriptions form a valuable prize for classical research.

The only regular student at the school has been Thomas Hooper Eckfeldt, A. B. (Wesleyan, 1882). His work will be a thesis on the Temple of Asklepios at Epidaurus. The small attendance at the school is due to the fact that no scholarships have, as yet, been founded, and all students are compelled to support themselves.

Two of the supporting colleges have withdrawn from the financial support of the school, - the University of California and the University of Pennsylvania. These universities have not, however, withdrawn their interest. Six new colleges have been invited to join, Boston University, Kenyon College, Lafayette College, Rochester University, Tufts College and the University of Vermont.

Prof. T. D. Seymour of Yale, and Prof. J. H. Wheeler of the University of Virginia, Prof. Francis Brown of Union Theological Seminary, and Prof. W. G. Hale of Cornell, have been added to the managing committee.

Prof. F. DeF. Allen of Harvard has been the director during the fourth year, and Prof. Martin L. D'Ooge of the University of Michigan, has been selected as director for the fifth year.

Prof. White earnestly calls for funds to provide for erecting a building for the school purposes. The Greek government has offered to present the school with a site, for this building, valued at $13,500. Prof. White, in concluding, refers to this proposal in the following terms: "It will be to our enduring shame if we do not at once respond to this generous offer of the Greek Government, and provide for our school a permanent and fitting home at Athens."