Meeting of the Mott Haven Team.

The Mott Haven team met yesterday afternoon at the gymnasium at a quarter past four o'clock. The number of the candidates was fair for a first call, but a large proportion of the heavy-weight men did not put in an appearance. The candidates are to be divided into three classes, and each class will go into a different kind of training. Yesterday the heavy-weight men, such as candidates for throwing the hammer, putting the shot, tug of-war, etc., were represented only by Gibson, '88, who for this time exercised in the class of runners, jumpers, and the light-weight generally. The third class is termed the walkers, who spent some time yesterday in walking around the track in the gymnasium. Bemis, '87, Wright, '86, and Lord, '88, make up this class. The class which includes the runners is by far the largest. For short distance running, Smith, '86, Lander, '86, L. Thayer, '88, Rogers, '86, Stanton, '87. For the long runs, Dana, '88, Bruner, '86, and Wheeler, '86. Forthingham, '86, and Craig, '87, are enlisted for the pole vault. Almost all of these men are well fitted for other positions besides the ones that they are credited as trying for, and it seems as if there would be no question that with proper work as good a team as ever could be gotten together. It is to be hoped that '89 will not remain in the background, but that some of her good men will not be slow in coming forward and attempting to gain positions in the team which will necessarily need them before long.