Meeting of Candidates for the Nine.

Last night a meeting of candidates for the nine was held in the room of Captain Phillips. As will be seen below, a large number of players appeared, and there will probably be no difficulty in filling up the few vacant positions with thoroughly reliable men. Two places only, third base and one fielder, will have to be filled by new men. The following men appeared: Allen, Nichols, Smith, Phillips, Kimball, Ferry, Chamberlain, Bruner, Rankin, '86; Willard, Weistling. Foster, Litchfield, Loud, H. Coolidge, Manly, '87; Jones, Holden, Austin, Hallowell, Choate, '88; Henshaw, '89.

Of the new men, Ferry, Chamberlain and Austin may be considered candidates for the position of change pitcher, and Jones and Choate, catchers on the '88 nine, and Henshaw, '89, candidates for change catcher. Henshaw is a remarkably strong player, and promises to be a very valuable man. As will be seen from the above list all the new men have played on their class nines. In addition to those mentioned, Palmer, '88, pitcher of the '88 nine, and Edgerley, '86, may play. Seven members of last year's nine and three substitutes are in college, and intend to play. The strongest batsmen remain, although the absence of Beaman, '85, the third baseman, who was a hard hitter, will be felt. With the old battery, Allen and Nichols, and a strong infield, and excellent candidates for the vacant positions, the prospect is that Harvard will be represented this year by a nine inferior in no respects to the championship nine of 1885. The candidates for the nine go into training to-day.