THE ELECTION OF A FOOT-BALL CAPTAIN FOR 1886.

EDITORS DAILY CRIMSON. - I wish to make a few statements in your paper concerning the election of captain of the foot-ball team for 1886. I was elected captain for the '85 team by the members of '84; but as there was no team in '85, who shall elect the captain for '86? There are not enough men from the old '84 team left in college to make an election by them satisfactory; for if the election was at all close, say 4 to 3, there might be some hard feeling, and we want the season to open next fall with everything possible in our favor. I have tried the scheme of asking anyone who has ever played on the University team and who is now connected with the University to vote. By this means we obtained 16 (sixteen) names. To obtain a majority, a man must obtain nine votes. Several men have not voted. Three have refused to vote on the score that they are not up in the game and men; and the result is that no one has attained the necessary majority. I am now as a last resource going to have the class elevens of this fall vote. I am rather in a trying position in this matter, as I have absolutely no precedent to go by and no way of finding out the feelings of the college at large. But this way seems to me to be a fair one. Of course the captain will be chosen from one of those who played in some of the games, and surely they are the best judges who played in these games. Each class captain will give in a list of all the men who played on his team in one or more games, and each man whose name is on this list will be entitled to one vote, if given in person, no voting by proxy being allowed. On Monday, Jan. 11, the four class captains will meet in my room to receive the votes, which shall be secret. The voting shall take place from 4 till 5.30 on that afternoon. No votes received before or after this time. Let every one vote for the man he considers best, but let each remember the importance which a good captain is to a team.

M. M. KIMBALL.