None

No Headline

During the last few years the study of elocution in Cambridge has taken rapid strides and has now become a subject which interests a large body of the students. The departure of Mr. Jones from the head of this department was a great loss to the college, but the position will be well filled, we have no doubt, by the gentleman whom the faculty has chosen to fill the vacancy. Mr. Hayes is an elocutionist of well-known merit, but above all, his capacity as a teacher will make his work here eminently successful. As for the study of elocution, no one need shrink from undertaking it because too much labor would be required of him. Preparation, of course, is necessary if any success is to be gained, but one can always proportion his work so that he can profit something, no matter how little that may be. That oft-given reason, too much work, does not apply to the question at point.

In Holden Chapel at 2 o'clock this afternoon Mr. Hayes will meet all those students who wish to pursue the study of elocution. There ought to be a large attendance, for the outcome of this year's work, the future of the Shakspere Club, the ability to be shown in the Boylston speaking next spring, all depend in a great degree upon the earnestness with which the subject is grasped early in the collegiate year.