A Talk on Elocution last Saturday.

Last Saturday one of the most earnest and forcible talks on elocution which it has ever been our pleasure to hear, was given by Mr. Hayes to the members of his division. As it was a talk especially applicable to those who were not present, a brief summary of it may not be out of place. Mr. Hayes, remarks were in substance: I cannot too forcibly urge upon all of you who remain away from these divisions, - either from a lurking belief that you can express well what you have to say naturally, or from a distrust of the methodical means of acquiring it, - the absolute necessity of obeying certain fundamental principles which are founded on truth. You cannot rely upon the natural expression of your feelings when you come to deliver a speech or read a poem. You must know what that natural expression of your feelings is; it is not arbitrary, but, growing out of laws of nature, is as unchangeable as they. Only by the most careful application and deepest study can a man learn and apply the proper expression of emotion. Even Wendell Phillips would pace his room the night before the delivery of an oration, reading over his manuscript for practice; and on this manuscript could be seen the marks he had made, showing where to lay his accents and where to make his gestures. Surely, none of you can hopes to acquire his power at a less cost. Edwin Booth is a profound student. You can take no shorter path to his goal than he took. Gestures are a world of expression in themselves, and consist in the actions which truly and unmistakably interpret the emotion they serve to express. With them there is no shadow of turning, for they are founded on truth. You must master all the details of elocution, such as, standing, and I perceive that few of you know how to stand even, - enunciation and action before you can have your body at our command for the expression of your feelings. But this, in fact is all that elocution can teach you, to have your bodily means of expression entirely under the control of your will, - which is power.