Mr. Moody's Address.

A large audience collected in Sanders Theatre last night to hear the address of the celebrated revivalist, Mr. D. L. Moody. Several hymns, sung by the audience, by a quartette, and by Prof. Towne, and a prayer by Dr. Mackenzie, preceded the address proper.

The speaker took for his text the VI chapter Corinthians, 7th verse. What ever a man's belief may be every one is subject to the law of God and Nature that he must reap just what he sows. If there is any lesson that history teaches us it is this fact. We may deceive ourselves into fancied security, but this law will always find us out. The subject divides itself into four divisions upon which emphasis ought to be put, namely, that everyone must expect to reap what he sows, the same kind of seed and more than he sows, and finally that ignorance of the seed does not make the result any less certain.

The certainty that "what we sow, that we shall reap," the most relentless law of nature. A deceitful man will have deceitful sons, and defaulters are the natural result of the tampering of consciences by tricky employers. Jacob and David advanced by the cynical man as "typical" saints. No man suffered for their sins more certainly or heavily than they, "Jacob killed a kid and goes and lies to his father, then Jacob's sons kill a kid and lie to him," forms a fit summary of Jacob's life to those who are acquainted with it. David, a powerful king, suffered many years of torture for his black crimes. He committed murder and his son killed his brother.

We reap many times what we sow. A man may commit a crime in one night, which will take him his life and part of eternity to atone for. Abstinence from strong drink earnestly urged. Nine-tenths of our criminals are made by liquor, as well from the upper ranks of society as from the slums. Ignorance of what we are doing can make no difference as to the harvest. Disrespect for religious things can only work ruin in our own characters. No nation has prospered that has cast off the worship of God.

How can we reconcile the doctrine of atonement with this doctrine of retribution. Simply, that although God may freely forgive us he cannot take away the consequences of any of our misdeeds. The worst of our sowing is that others must reap with us. We bring evil consequences upon the innocent. The address closed with a cordial invitation to those present to make themselves known to the speaker personally. Mr. Moody has a very magnetic manner and a pleasing voice. The excellent quality of the singing added much to the pleasure of the services.