An Englishman's View of Harvard's Anniversary Celebration. I.

The following extracts from The Mail (London) will be of interest to our readers, as they give an Englishman's impressions of Harvard's 250th Anniversary.

Saturday, the 6th, was given up to the undergraduates who had boat races and a foot-ball match, that they might show their visitors their prowess. But, unlike English undergraduates, they also invited visitors to see how they were progressing towards the acquirement of the graces needed for actual life. They took possession of the university theatre, and delivered addresses and recited poems of their own with as much gravity and dignity as Mr. Lowell or Mr. Holmes. The traditions of American life sink deep, and the pattern is everywhere the same. Two orators and two poets, chosen by vote of the undergraduates themselves, in turn commemorated the glories of Harvard, criticized its system, and exhorted to emulation of its past. The most perfect decorum prevailed; in fact any one who had witnessed the pandemonium of the Oxford Encaenia could not fail to marvel that these things could be. The Harvard undergraduates no doubt felt the responsibility of the occasion. They were taking their part in a great celebration, and were doing their duty to themselves and their Alma Mater. Nothing could exceed the order with which they entered the theatre in a long procession and took their places. It was impossible not to feel that the greater freedom allowed to American undergraduates led them to recognize earlier than do English youths the responsibilities of manhood." We cannot help smiling at the writer's astonishment at our good behaviour, nor yet escape feeling complimented by the praise he bestows upon us.

Another interesting passage is the following about the conferring of honorary degrees. "The ceremony was of the utmost simplicity, but the dignity of President Eliot's manner as he described in a few words the claim of each recipient made the preceeding far mere impressive than the antiquated ceremonial still followed at our University As president Eliot named each of the new Doctors, he rose in his seat and bowed in acknowledgement, so that some 40 degrees were conferred in 20 minutes without the aid of pompous Latin compliments."