The Arsenal.

The old Cambridge Arsenal, for so many years a familiar landmark on the corner of Garden and Chauncey streets, is being torn down. It was a state institution, and although not built until shortly after the war of 1812, it still had several revolutionary memories clinging about it. Not very many years ago the remains of an old colonial redoubt were still to be seen in its vicinity, and soon after it was built a great number of revolutionary muskets and cannon were stood there. After the war of the rebellion these old arms were sold at wholesale to private parties, who retailed them off at a good profit as relics of the revolution. The cannon, which now stand on the common, were presented by the state to the city of Cambridge at the time of this clearing out of old stock.

At the outbreak of the rebellion a guard for the Arsenal was organized, composed of Harvard students. They marched to the enlivening music of fife and drum, drilled, and stood guard until the matter got to be looked upon as an opportunity for having a good time rather than as a serious and important duty, when their further services were declared to be unnecessary. Later on many regular troops were equipped here with arms and ammunition, and in 1864, at the time when the "Merrimac" was creating such havoc in the neighborhood of Norfolk, Governor Andrew had an addition put on the northern side, and also erected the little building which stood just to the east of the addition. This he had fitted up as a workshop for the manufacture of muskets. As a state enterprise, however, this was not a success, and work was soon discontinued.

P.