Lectures at Harvard.

The man who comes to college and does not avail himself of the opportunity to attend the lectures that are constantly being given, is not enjoying the advantages and benefits which Harvard offers in this particular direction. Lectures are the great means by which we may gather the ideas of different men, learn of the vocations and grow wise from their experience; it is also the means by which we may become acquainted with the great men of our day and learn of their manner of thinking. This system of having public lectures is daily growing more and more popular; especially is this the case at Harvard. The mere announcement that a certain well known man will speak on a particular evening is sufficient to attract the attendance of a large body of students. This is perfectly natural. A man studying a certain profession, take the law as an example, is sure to derive great pleasure and benefit from a lecture on that subject; he goes with the idea that the speaker will give his views on the law as a profession; that he will tell the student of the prospects a lawyer has, who is to-day launching out into the profession; that he will speak to him of the difficulties which at first surround the beginner and of the many disagreeable moments through which every new lawyer has to pass; finally the lecturer will enlighten him upon the ultimate chances of success. The student will also hear with mingled feelings of joy and sorrow of the man who has made his mark in the world, and of the man who has been forced to abandon the profession and step down into the lower rank of a merchant. All these statements cannot fail to impress themselves upon the student's mind; he will carry the thoughts of the speaker home with him and will endeavor, as far as he sees fit, to heed his advice. And so it is in all the other lectures the student attends. They are all composed of the element thoughts and considerations of great thinking men who talk to the student in the hopes that he may learn by the experience of older men, and that what they say to him, may be of some advantage in after life. A solitary lecture by a well known speaker, who is master of his subject, will tend more to broaden the student's intellect, than if he remains at home pouring over some book which might as well be read at any other time. Lectures are now recognized by all students as of paramount importance; the series now being given at Harvard by eminent men on the various professions proves that the students are deeply interested in any movement calculated to increase their power to obtain knowledge.

B.