Yale's Candidates for the Inter-Collegiate Contest.

Tuesday's N. Y. Times has an article on Yale's prospects in the coming contest for the "Mott Haven" cup. The article starts off with the statement that the most enthusiastic Yale man can only figure out second place for his college, and adds, "It seems that though the men who might take a first prize had concluded to let somebody else have a chance. Brooks, '86, the champion college sprinter, positively declines to enter this year. Hamilton, '86, the easy winner of the bicycle race at last year's games, also holds himself severely aloof from the track, and now says nothing can induce him to enter. Meredith and Mitchell, the Scientific School experts at the mile walk and half mile run, respectively, have graduated from college, and ponderous A. B. Coxe, of the junior class is the only probable "first" man left to hold up Yale's end. That Mr. Coxe will do this in the hammer-throwing is pretty generally acknowledged, and there are many who assert that he will throw the hammer several feet beyond the best on record. He is doing some pretty fair work in his practice at putting the 16-pound shot, and it would not be surprising if his competitors in this event at the games were to be treated to a grievous surprise."

There are now about forty men in training. Of this number probably one half will "hang-on" till the time of the games. A person who knows whereof he speaks says that the most promising candidates for honors are: C. H. Sherrill, Jr., '89, and A. Leeds, '87, who are doing the best work at the 100 yards dash. Both men have covered the distance in 10 1-2 seconds, and there are strong hopes that Sherrill will manage to get this down a fifth of a second or so. His chances would be much better if he could improve his method of starting. Steady training and good coaching may improve him in this respect, and he stands a reasonably good chance of doing himself credit in the inter-collegiate contests. C. F. Odell, '86, is the mainstay of Yale's hopes in the 220 yards dash. Odell has always been a fast sprinter since his extrance to college, three and a half years ago, but he seems to have got his time just so low, and now can't lower it. If he wants to win at the games he must get to lee' ard of 23 1-5 seconds, in which he is now running.

H. F. Walker, '89, has trained himself down, so that he can now run 440 yards in 56 seconds. This is about five seconds slower than will suffice for him to win first place. F. R. Smith. '86, and L. Bradner, Jr., '89, are about the only men now working at the half-mile run. Both get around the track at about a 2.08 gait. It is just seven and one-fifth seconds slower than the inter-collegiate record, however.

W. G. Lane, '88, F. D. Leffingwell, '87, and L. W. Bond, S. S. S., '86, think they have sufficient wind to run a mile. Honors are about easy between them, though Lane is said to have bested 4.45.

G. H. Davison, S. S. S., '88, is a good all around mile walker, and is pretty well assured of a place in this event at the games. Whether this place will be first or second it is impossible to tell at present. A pretty straight tip from one inside is that Davison is continually beating his own record, and that great things may be expected of him after a few weeks' skillful training and handling.

W. H. Ludington, '87, got away with all his opponents at the 120 yards' hurdle race last year, and unexpectedly had them all behind him at the finish. He is a good man and will try hard to sustain his reputation this year.

J. S. Kulp, S. S. S., '87, is the sole aspirant for bicycle fame in the two-mile race at the games. He is a fair rider, but not exactly the man a good judge would pick out for a winner.

W. B. Goodwin, '89, is perhaps the only good broad and high jumper now in college, or at least in training. Marked improvement or a combination of lucky circumstances may make him a winner at New York. Otherwise his chances are poor.

For the tug-of-war no regular team is now in practice, but "scrub" teams are constantly at work. The members of Yale's best team for a tug-of-war have all left college, and the chances of an altogether new team winning this difficult event are very slight.

Unless unforeseen circumstances arise between the present time and the time for the games, Yale will probably have to look elsewhere for athletic honors. Hence, with a raw university crew, an untried and discouraged nine, and the recollection of the last Yale-Princeton foot-ball game, Yale's colors are rapidly changing from navy blue to indigo of the deepest and most sombre dye."