The Cricket Team.

The cricket eleven have now stopped practice till next autumn, when they hope to arrange some further games. They have played thus far, six games, including two practice games with Longwood. The first game came off at Longwood on May 1st, in which we were defeated, our half of the second inning not being played. The second game, against the Independents at Lowell, was most unsatisfactory, owing to the wretched umpiring; score 80 66 against Harvard. On May 20, the second Longwood game resulted in a score of 82-57 for Longwood. And on May 22 a game with the Boston club was played on the Cambridgeport grounds, with 75-71 for Boston. Our team consists of fifteen members, out of whom there has been no regular picked eleven, but the best players have been selected for each game. Clark, Markoe and McKean have done the best bowling, while the same men, together with. Bohlen and Paul, have done the best batting for the team. No further games will be played this year, as the matches proposed for Philadelphia cannot possibly take place, owing to the refusal of the clubs of that city to share the expenses. The crease used by our club this year was most miserable, and new grounds must therefore by chosen next year. It is hoped that these may be obtained at Watertown. But the expenses of laying out a suitable field and keeping it, will be very heavy, and while the finances of the club are in its present condition, they cannot be assumed. Therefore, the welfare and life of the club are dependent upon the support received from the college. The team has been conscientious and hard-working in its practice this spring. The lack of success this year is therefore entirely due to the poorness of the grounds and the lack of college support, both by players and by money. The material from which the team had to be chosen was fresh, as few men play cricket before coming to college, so that great practice was necessary to bring them into shape. Many good players enter college next year. With enough funds the club can then go ahead and form an eleven which will do the college credit. But the one necessary thing is support from the college, and especially money.