New London-The Harvard Quarters and the Course.

(From our special correspondent.)

NEW LONDON, June 21st.Last Saturday the Harvard 'varsity left Cambridge by the one o'clock train, and arrived in New London towards evening. At Groton, which is on the east side of the Thames River, just opposite New London, the crew left the train, and started for the quarters in a tug.

On leaving Groton, one's attention is immediately attracted by the huge grand stand on the New London side of the river, which is built directly opposite the finish of the course. As only the end of the race can be seen from the stand, various methods are employed to keep the spectators informed about the progress of races from the very start. In the first place, there is a little telegraph office adjoining, through which a constant communication is kept up between the start and each separate half mile flag, and these messages are posted directly in front of the grand stand on huge blackboards erected for this purpose. Besides this method there is another, by which a red or a blue ball is raised as Harvard or Yale is ahead.

As we pass the grand-stand on our way to the quarters, we come directly on to the course, which stretches in a perfectly straight line up the river. The banks on both sides are heavily wooded, reminding one strongly of the scenery about the Hudson River. On the left shore we can see the little railroad, which was built expressly for the observation trains, in which so many people see the races. The trains are made up of simple platform cars, upon which are built tiers of raised seats. These cars are never used at the races with Columbia, but when Harvard rows Yale they are in great demand, as by them one certainly can obtain the best possible view of a race. This year, however, it is very probable that they will be in use during the freshman race, as the interest in this contest is very great. Yale especially, it is said, is wild to get this race, so as to make up in a measure for the loss of their beloved fence.

At the finish, there is a large crimson and blue flag, standing directly out of the river, and as we steam up the course we pass them at every half-mile. Most of these flags disappeared after the races last year, and in some mysterious way turned up in Cambridge, where they form very interesting souvenirs of Harvard's victories. At the two-mile flag, where the freshman race is started, we see Point - - on the left, and the New London Navy Yard on the right, where the old man-of-war "Florida" used to be anchored. These last two miles are generally pretty rough, much more so than the upper course, which is more sheltered; but it is said of New London, I believe, that there has been but one postponement in seven years. Last year's races were rowed in pretty rough water, but we seldom see the course as rough as was the Charles River this spring on the day of the class races.

There is nothing worthy of much comment on the upper two miles, until we come to the start, which is directly opposite the Harvard quarters. The starting point is in the middle of a great bed of eel grass, about which we have heard so much. The grass seems to grow very luxuriantly in this especial place, lying in great masses all over the surface of the river. But notwithstanding everything said about it, it really doesn't stop a boat very much, the main inconvenience being the difficulty one has in rowing his oar. About three-eighths of a mile from the start, on the west side of the river, there is a large, prominent boulder, stretching out from the shore, which is familiarly known as "Rock." The crews are always timed from the start up to this point, and it has become almost as important as any one of the half-mile flags.

The Harvard quarters are directly opposite the starting point, on the east side of the river. The house at first sight impresses one as being a pretty summer cottage. It is surrounded on three sides by a wide piazza, and standing as it does on a little bluff, commands a fine view of the river. The quarters are painted a deep crimson, - and on the flag-staff, which is raised above the roof, floats a large flag, which has seen service for many years. On the ground floor is a large and airy dining room, and a kitchen, well supplied with its necessary accessories. Up stairs we find the sleeping rooms for the crew. Most of the time when the men are not out rowing, they spend in lounging about on the piazza, reading or talking. Just beside the quarters is a large open field, where the crew occasionally have a little game of ball, but from all appearances their skill does not seem to lie at all in this direction.

About a quarter of a mile below the 'varsity are the freshman quarters. They are really very pleasantly situated in a little white farm house, which, like the 'varsity quarters, has a good view of the river. The owner of the house, Capt. Mahlthrop, is a jolly old soul, and makes everything very pleasant for the crew. The pictures which the genial captain has in his various rooms, are of an unusually uninteresting character, and it has become a custom of freshman crews upon taking possession, to turn them face inwards towards the walls. There are four sleeping rooms up stairs, and each man has a separate bed. Meals are prepared by a cook brought up from New London for this one week before race.

The boat-house stands directly below the 'varsity quarters. This is a long, low building, plainly built, and is used by both the university and freshman crews. Besides their regular shell, the 'varsity always carry down an extra one, to provide against accident, and this we can see wrapt up in cloths on the floor of the boat house. The boat-house provides accommodation for the boatman, and for the engineer of the launch.

The launch this year is a new one, bought through a subscription raised by a number of graduates. The engine and boilers are of the celebrated Herreschoff make, which has turned out so many of our fastest steam yachts, and though much smaller than Yale's or Columbia's launch, yet it makes up in being very much faster than either. The launch is a great convenience for coaching, and is the usual means of communication between New London and the quarters.

On account of examinations, the Yale crew will not start for New London until Thursday. On Friday there is talk of their rowing the University of Pennsylvania, who, if they are successful, intend to challenge Harvard.

H. D. HALE.