Harvard's Regulations in 1734.

The radical changes which have lately been made in the rules and regulations of the University, compared with the "revised" rules of a hundred and fifty years ago bring old Harvard into much sharper contrast with the college of to day than perhaps any other method of comparison. Many of these old laws have figured in the historical accounts of the Anniversary, but a number of them have been passed over which are curious and interesting, and may be worth transcribing here.

In the laws made in 1734, from which the following are mainly taken, one section of the first chapter refers to the scholastic requirements for admission and the other five sections to the payment of bills. Regulations concerning a religious, virtuous life occupy a whole chapter, eleven sections beginning "All scholars shall behave themselves blamelessly, leading sober, righteous and godly lives" and continuing to impose lines for disorder in the meeting house and for "profane and irreverent behavior at prayers!

The 'Penal Laws' of this early code are rigorous in the extreme, covering twenty-four sections of one chapter. This is in marked contrast to the present spirit which has not excluded the mention of a penalty in connection with any particular irregularity. A student masquerading "in woman's apparel" was liable to expulsion. "If any scholar unnecessarily frequents taverns." "profanely curse, swear," "play at cards or dice" he was liable to a fine for a fresh offence and to all the terrors of the law for continuance in his misdemeanor. "No person of what degree soever residing in the college, shall make use of any distilled spirits or of any such mixed drinks as punch or flip, in entertaining one another or strangers." Students were also forbidden to have liquors in their rooms, cut "lead off from Old College," or to make "tumultuous noises" in the college. There are elaborate directions "About the Steward, Cook or Butler" which we shall not review, as college "commons" must be a painful subject at all times.

The President and Tutors were authorized to break open a student's door at any time they were refused admittance, and the same officers could summon a sort of "posse comitatus" of the students to quell disturbances about the college. "None belonging to the college, except the President and Fellows, etc., shall by threats or blows compel a freshman * * * to any duty of obedience." "No undergraduate shall keep a gun or pistol in the college or anywhere in Cambridge." Provisions are also made against students fighting. With the conservatism and foresight which ever characterized the fathers of the college, these regulations close with a clause providing for the punishment of "disorders or misdemeanors" which have perchance escaped them in the labors of compilation.