The Union Debate.

An unusually small attendance was present last evening at the regular fortnightly meeting of the Harvard Union. Previous to the debate a great amount of business was transacted, which took considerably over an hour to finish. Among other matters, the election of officers for the ensuing half year was held. The following gentlemen were instated in their respective offices by unanimous votes: Mr. Herman Page, president; Mr. Charles Warren, vice-president; Mr. C. M. Thayer, secretary and treasurer.

The question for discussion was, "Resolved, that the plan for managing Memorial Hall proposed in the CRIMSON of Jan. 9 should be adopted." Mr. L. M. Garrison was the first to speak on the affirmative. He stated that the only feasible way to remedy the present state of affairs at Memorial was-(1) to cut down the order list; (2) to increase the help, and (3) to appoint a new functionary, who should have a general supervision over the entire management of the buying, preparation and serving of food. He insisted that such an inspector was necessary to maintain continued improvement, and he said, furthermore, that under the present regime, repeated complaint would better matters for only a few days. Mr. Furber then opened the discussion in behalf of the negative. He said that no hotel was able to attend properly to the wants of seven hundred men within forty minutes, especially so when one waiter served fourteen men. He added that more cooks in the kitchen would be a hindrance since the range could not more than accommodate the ones there now; also that the order list was a recognized part of the association, and did not take the time of the cooks, as the regular food was prepared before meal time. Mr. Burdett answered in behalf of the affirmative, and said that at present no one was available to hear complaints and have difficulties rectified at once. Mr. Surbridge supplemented the remarks of his colleague in the negative, and the debate then closed with the sentiment largely in favor of the negative side of the discussion.

The question for the next debate is, "Resolved, that contested election cases of members of Congress be tried by the Supreme Court."