A Circular from the Preachers of the University.

HARVARD UNIVERSITY, Cambridge Mass., July 1887.

DEAR SIR: The Plummer Professor of Christian Morals and Preachers to the University for the year 1886-87 wishes to lay before the parents and friends of the students of the University some report of their undertaking during the past year.

We look back on the year with serious gratitude. The services of worship have been attended beyond our expectations, and we believe that a distinct movement of healthy religious life has been perceptible in the University. Each of us has conducted morning prayers for about seven weeks, and each has preached on four Sunday evenings. The remaining services on Sunday have been led by the following preachers through our invitation:-

The Rev. President Robinson of Brown University.

Rev. Andrew P. Peabody, D. D., of Cambridge.

Mr. Dwlght L. Moody, of Northfield.

Right Rev. F. D. Huntington, D. D., Bishop of Central New York.

Rev. Newman Smyth, D. D., of New Haven, Conn.

Rev. George H. Greene, D. D., of Providence, R. I.

Rev. Washington Gladden, D. D., of Columbus, Ohio.

Rev. Charles H. Parkhurst, D. D., of New York, N. Y.

Rev. Philip S. Moxom, of Boston.

Rev. George Z. Gray, D. D., of Cambridge.

Rev. Brooke Herford, of Boston.

Rev. Minot J. Savage, of Boston.

Rev. Williams S. Rainsford, of New York, N. Y.

We have also conducted sixteen vesper services on Thursday afternoons between November and May. The preacher conducting morning prayers has been in attendance every morning during his term of duty at a room assigned to us for the purpose, and counsel has been sought there by a gratifying number of students.

The students of the University, as a whole, have accepted the responsibility toward religion which the voluntary system has laid upon them. In addition to the work of the religious societies, class prayer-meetings have been undertaken, and we are encouraged to believe that no young man need miss religious influence among us for lack of companionship or sympathy. On the other hand, we entirely appreciate that a considerable number of students have lived this year without any relation to our work, and we take the liberty of urging parental advice for our assistance. The religious life of the College cannot do more than reflect the religious influence of the homes represented in the College, and the responsibility for our usefulness must be in some degree shared by those who send young men to us.

We shall be glad of any counsel from the homes of our students as to better ways of serving them, and we wish to have our attention called to any cases of special need in which we may be useful. General correspondence should be addressed to the Plummer Professor, though any Preacher will gladly consider such questions as may be more appropriately addressed to him.

FRANCIS GREENWOOD PEABODY, Plummer Professor of Christian Morals. (H. U. 1869.)

EDWARD EVERETT HALE, Minister of South Congregational Church, Boston. (H. U. 1839.)

PHILLIPS BROOKS. Rector of Trinity Church, Boston. (H. U. 1855.)

ALEXANDER MCKENZIE, Minister of First Church, Cambridge. (H. U. 1859.)

GEORGE A. GORDON, Minister of Old South Church, Boston. (H. U. 1881.)

Preachers to the University.