The American Oriental Society.

The fall meeting of the society was held in Hopkins Hall of the John Hopkins University, Baltimore, last month. The sessions were well attended, not only by members of the society, but also by many of the professors and students of the University. Dr. Hayes Ward, of New York, presided.

Professor Lanman, of Harvard, read some interesting communications from members and friends of the society. Dr. Jackson, of Columbia College, now studying in Halle, announced the steady progress made by Professor Geldner in his great edition of Avesta.

A short paper was read by the secretary from Professor Lyon of Harvard upon "A Collection of Babylonian Tablets in Harvard College Library." This present collection of original documents is highly interesting. It contains fifty-eight tablets or fragments of tablets from Babylonia. They are all of the kind technically called "contract tablets" and give us an excellent insight into the social and private life of the time. The material is partly baked, partly unbaked brick. These tablets were dug up by the natives and sent to London, whence they came by purchase into the possession of Harvard College. In connection with the foregoing, it may be mentioned that Dr. Cyrus Adler of Johns Hopkins announced that the National Museum at Washington is about to form a complete collection of casts and fac-similes of seals coming from Messopotanna. It is intended eventually to include cylinders, slabs and tablets in the collection.

Dr. Stephen D. Pete read a paper entitled "Animal Worship in the East and West Compared." The prevalence of animal worship is very widespread in ancient religions. The custom is a very old one; it is a form of universal religion and a connecting link between pre-historical and historical times. Among the animals thus worshipped the hare plays a prominent part. The historical connection between different countries is not sufficient to account for this great prevalence. The worship of animals passes through all the stages of development of the human race.

The society adjourned to meet again in Boston the first Wednesday in May, 1888.