A Suggestion to the Students.

Suggestions made by Professor Drummond and words spoken by some of the preachers to the University have led to a desire on the part of a number of students to make some effort toward helping to uplift the lives of the masses in the great city so near us. Encouraged by the success of meetings addressed by Rev. Phillips Brooks, which were held in Faneuil Hall last winter under the auspices of the Trinity Club, they have decided to try a similar work in another part of Boston. A petition signed by about fifty men and reading as follows has been handed to the preachers:-

"We, the undersigned, students of Harvard University, desire to undertake a series of meetings in Boston during the coming winter for the benefit of those not ordinarily reached by religious organizations, and earnestly request the Preachers to the University to conduct these meetings."

This petition has met with the following answer:-

"CAMBRIDGE, MASS., Nov. 16, 1887.

"Dear Sirs :- The Preachers to our University met last evening and considered with pleasure the proposition signed by you. We entirely agree with your sugg stion and are ready to undertake a series of five meetings in Boston. We do this with a full sense of the significance and seriousness of such a movement, and we feel that success will be best obtained by committing all details to the students themselves. We should think it best to hold these meetings as soon as they can be conveniently arranged. Each of us stand ready to give such assistance and advice as he can personally offer, but we all desire to feel that the movement is in the hands of students, to be carried out by their energy and devotion.

"If it seems best to you, I shall be glad to meet you at a time you may name and communicate such suggestions as were made by members of our board last evening.

Believe me always, Faithfully yours,

FRANCIS G. PEABODY."A meeting will be held in Holden Chapel at 7 o'clock this evening to organize further these meetings. It is believed that they will furnish work of such a sort as will really help the people for whom the meetings are held. It is hoped that every member of the University who feels at all interested in the matter will come to the meeting to-night. None need feel that by his presence he commits himself to any part in the undertaking.