The Recent Crisis in France.

Last Tuesday evening Prof. Cohn gave an excellent lecture in Sever 11, in which he treated in detail the causes which forced President Grevy to resign. President Grevy is a man who has rendered great service to the French nation, and is consequently highly respected. His resignation was called for only as a measure of last resort to preserve the country from anarchy. His son-in-law, M. Wilson, was discovered to have used his influence to enrich himself by corrupt practices, and this discovery, taken with the recent attempted sales of decorations, made the people clamorous for his punishment as an example. President Grevy refused to abandon his son-in law, and a hostile feeling arose between the president and the legislature. The monarchical factions seized this opportunity to overthrow the existing ministry, hoping to benefit from the confusion which would follow. All attempts to form a new ministry failed, and a revolution seemed inevitable. The dangerous classes of Paris were eager for a revolt and threats were made that if M. Ferry were elected president he would have to wade through a sea of blood. Mobs marched through the streets clamoring for Grevy's resignation, while the government prepared for a conflict. Grevy promised to resign, but was persuaded that the election of Ferry, which was sure to ensue, would be the signal for the overthrow of the Republic, and so refused to keep his promise. If the leaders of the Chambers had not had great sagacity, we should now be witnessing the honors of the Commune. Fortunately for France the men were equal to the occasion. Both branches of the legislature passed unanimous resolutions calling on the president to resign, and Grevy reluctantly yielded. The danger was not yet over; the mass of the deputies were determined to elect Ferry, who was hated by the populace. With remarkable patriotism, Ferry withdrew from the contest, and urged his friends to elect M. Sadi-Carnot. His advice was followed and the crisis was safely over. France had passed safely through the danger which had always before overthrown the Republic. The fact that this happened gives us great confidence that France has outgrown her instability, and has at last reached a settled period of national prosperity.

Professor Cohn's treatment of the subject was admirable, and gave a comprehension of the situation which could never be gleaned from the facts presented in the newspapers.