The '89 Crew.

The sophomores have had two crews at work since the Christmas vacation. Of the old crew Storrow, Parker, Hight and Perry are now rowing with the eight. Davis, Schroll and Perkins are rowing with the 'Varsity candidates, while Pfeiffer has been obliged to give up rowing entirely. The crew is somewhat handicapped, from the fact that there is no regular coach, so that the captain is obliged to do all the coaching. Several new men are candidates this year, some of whom are doing very good work.

It is rather hard to say anything very definite about the races this spring, but it is generally believed that '89's chances are especially good. The two crews are at present rowing as follows:

FIRST CREW.Stroke - Storrow, 140.

7 - Parker, 164.

6 - Proctor, 168.

5 - Hight, 158.

4 - Hebard, 170.

3 - Perry, 165.

2 - Woodbury, 145.

Bow - Markoe, 191.

Substitute - Howe, 168.

SECOND CREW.Stroke - Burr.

7 - Bush.

6 - Ruland.

5 - Morse.

4 - Forbes.

3 - King.

2 - Clark.

Bow - Newell.

Coxswain - Whitney.

The following are some individual faults of the first crew:

Stroke - Must be careful not to hang. Settles at the finish. Should keep a good grip with outside hand.

7 - Should not go back too far. Must keep a better grip with both inside and outside hands. His rowing is not firm enough. Is apt to jerk at his stroke.

6 - Doesn't get his shoulders on. Gets a weak finish. Should put more life into his work. Rows as if he were half asleep. Must work more from his stretcher.

5 - Goes back too far. Lets his shoulders go at the full reach. Fails to control his slide on the recover. Should keep a stronger grip with his outside hand.

4 - Doesn't use his stretcher. Rushes very badly. Time very poor. Fails to get his shoulders well on. Must keep his eyes in the boat.

3 - Isn't up to his form of last year by any means. Slumps at the full reach, also at the finish. Should keep a firm grip with outside hand.

2 - Rushes his slide. Keeps very poor time. Slumps badly on the full race. His rowing is very rough; should try to be smoother. Fails to work well from his stretcher. Should sit up to it better.

Bow - Hurries out on the recover. Shouldn't hunch up his shoulders, especially his right. Goes back too far and settles badly. Fails to keep a good grip on his oar.

Substitute - Never gets a good seat. Rushes badly. Keeps no grip on his oar. Settles at full reach, and also at finish. Keeps bad time. Should learn not to lose his temper when being coached.

As a whole, the crew must be careful about time, and should pay better attention to the coach. They must control themselves on the recover, and should sit up to it all the time.