Second Winter Meeting.

The second winter meeting on Saturday was a departure from the old style of indoor meets and proved a most successful affair. Nobody missed the customary bouts of light-weight sparring and the presence of so many well-known athletes in the two special events - the flying rings and the pole vault - added to the meeting an interest which, unfortunately, has been wanting in most of the previous ones.

The attendance was good and rather more enthusiastic than usual. The events were all well contested and went off with as little delay as possible under the circumstances.

The running high jump came first on the programme. The bar was placed at 4 ft. 9 in. and G. C. Chaney '94 took the lead, followed by H. M. Wheelwright '94, G. R. Fearing '93, and A. H. Green '93. All cleared this easily and the bar was raised to 5 ft. 2 1-2 in. Here Wheelwright failed twice, but got over on his third trial, At 5 ft. 3 1-2 in. all but Fearing were unsuccessful. Chaney and Green, however, in subsequent trials, managed to clear the bar, but Wheelwright dropped out. At 5 ft. 6 1-2 in. Green failed and Chaney and Fearing only were left. Chaney missed at 5 ft. 7 1-4 in. and took second place with a jump of 5 ft. 6 1-2 in., while Fearing cleared with ease 5 ft. 10 in. and then, with no further attempt to go higher, stopped, satisfied at having won the event.

R. D. Farquhar '93 and C. B. Earle '94 were the only entries in the tumbling. It was a very close decision which the judges rendered in favor of Farquhar. He was lighter on his feet than Earle and more graceful. Earle, on the other hand, had a greater variety of movements. Mr. Bowler gave a very pretty exhibition of tumbling at the request of the committee in charge. His movements were very difficult, combining, as they did, almost every conceivable form of tumbling, but they were all executed with remarkable ease and grace.

The next event, the parallel bar, brought out R. Macallister '93 E. E. Clark '94, F. B. Winslow '95, S. B. McNear '95, and J. H. Chase '95. After a little preliminary work to warm him up, each man performed his own tricks which were, on the whole, very creditably done. It was a very close thing, in the minds of the spectators, between Macallister, Clark and Winslow, but the judges decided in favor of Macallister first, and Clark second. Winslow was very graceful and did several clever acts which required considerable strength and skill. While the judges were making their decision, a very pretty pyramid was formed on the bars by Mr. Bowler and Moore '93, assisted by Farquhar, Macallister, McNear, Winslow, Earle and Clark.

The flying rings was the best event of the afternoon. F. W. Moore '93 was the only Harvard entry. M. E. Tenniham, B. Y. M. C. U., O. H. Carrier, M. I. T. A. A., Robert Stoll, N. Y. A. C., and F. W. Newell, B. Y. M. C. U., competed. Moore's work was most creditable. His daring feat of cutting off and catching the rings again while swinging high in the air, brought forth deserved applause. Carrier's showed great strength and very justly gave him second place. Stoll, who is the champion of America in this event, was simply a revelation to everyone of what could be done on flying rings. Naturally, the first prize was awarded to him. He attempted afterwards to give an exhibition, but on trial, found that he was too exhausted and gave it up.

T. Richardson '94, H. C. Lakin '94 and B. J. Worman '95 ran in the first of the trial heats in the potato race. Worman came in first, with Richardson second. In the second heat, C. B. Earle was first, N. W. Bingham '95, second. The finals were run after the pole vault. The four winners of the trial heats lined up and just one minute and four seconds after the word go, Richardson dropped his last potato in the milk can, which served as the receptacle. Earle and Worman were only a fraction of a second behind him. Earle made a desperate struggle and just managed to come in second.

The last event was the pole vault, contested by O. G. Cartwright, Y. A. A., J. Crane, Jr., B. A. A., and Wheelwright '94. The bar was placed at 8 ft. and no one met any great difficulty till it was raised to 9 ft. 6 in. Here it took Wheelwright two trials and Cartwright three, to clear the bar. At 9 ft. 10 in. Wheelwright was obliged to drop out. Cartwright failed to make the next height and so took second with a jump of 9 ft. 10 in. Crane then did some beautiful vaulting, clearing 10 ft. 4 in., and just barely knocking the bar off at 10 ft. 8 in.