The Columbia Celebration.

NEW YORK, April 13, 1887.

The procession started promptly at 9.15 a.m. The line of march was down Fifth avenue to Thirty-fourth street, thence to Broadway and up to the Metropolitan Opera House. There was little decoration along the line of march. The procession was five blocks long and was formed in ranks of ten front. Stewart L. Woodford, '54, was grand marshal. The graduates were the next in line. There were about two hundred and fifty of them. One hundred and twenty members of the professional schools followed; then came the college by classes, and lastly the School of Mines. As the hour was early, Fifth avenue was empty and the only enthusiasm shown was by the undergraduates, who cheered vociferously.

By 10 a.m. the procession had reached the Metropolitan. The two galleries were occupied by the students and other spectators, the boxes and floor being reserved for invited guests.

At 10.45 the entrance of President Barnard and the other dignitaries was announced by the Lohegrin processional music, performed by the Symphonic Orchestra, under Damrosch. The president and Professors Dwight and Chandler were loudly cheered. After prayer by the chaplain of the college, Marshal Woodford opened the proceedings with an address, sketching the history of the college, and dwelling upon the glory of the future. Chorale, "Awake My Soul." Wagner, by the Oratorio and Symphonic societies followed.

The oration by Frederic R. Coudert, was the next thing on the programme. He said that Columbia was founded at the time of the French Revolution. Among the truths that have appeared since then the most important is that not knowledge but the art of using knowledge is power. Art is taught by faith. The university of the future is that which teaches nothing that is useless and everything that is good its duty is to elevate the standard of all professions, and to make men good citizens. The classics are indispensable studies. Mr. Coudert concluded with a spirited sketch of the college.

An Easter hymn was sung by the Ladies' chorus and a poem read by the Rev. S. L. Taylor, '61. It was much curtailed in order to save time.

During the exercises the students became rather uneasy, and their conduct could hardly have been called a model. Paper darts were thrown from the galleries, while whistling and other like pleasantries interspersed the proceedings.

M.