The Harvard Club's House.

FITTING UP QUARTERS FOR A MEETING PLACE FOR ITS MEMBERS.

The general prosperity and constantly increasing growth of the Harvard Club of New York has caused a renewed effort this spring toward enlarging its usefulness. There are now about 500 names on the club list and it is constantly growing. A new impetus has been given the club by the addition of non-resident members who pay only half dues, and it is for their benefit partly that it was decided recently to procure permanent quarters.

Therefore the house 11 West Twenty-Second street has been secured. The building is 25 feet wide and very deep and gives four stories of rooms to be made ready for club purposes. On the lower floor there will be a dining-room and club meeting room. One room will be devoted to literary purposes, with facilities for those wishing to read or study. The rooms will be thrown open in May, with an appropriate recognition of the event. This new movement on the part of the club has been largely suggested by the number of young men coming into the club, who, it was thought, would appreciate club-rooms where they might gather for social purposes. For graduates of Harvard living out of town it will also prove a great convenience, furnishing a place for them to drop in during their vitits to the city. Such non resident members are now on roll from the East and West as far as Dakota. With all the improvements, it has been determined to keep the dues low so that the club can be open to all Harvard men who wish to join it. The club is distinctly social, and was organized for such purposes.

The Harvard Club was founded in 1 865, and among its leading spirits at that time were the Rev. Dr. Osgood, the Rev. Dr. Bellows, Dr. John O. Stone, Frederick A. Lane, and other prominent Harvard graduates in the city. At first it had a room in Fourth avenue and later on Broadway, below Union square. Monthly reunions, with a supper, and an annual dinner on the eve of Washington's birthday were the prominent features from the first, and for many years these have been held at Delmonico's, first in Fourteenth street and since at the present establishment in Twenty-sixth street and Fifth avenue. For two years they were held at the University Club Theatre, until it became unavailable last year. Dr. Osgood was the first president, and his successors have been Frederick A. Lane, Dr. J. O. Stone, the Rev. Dr. Bellows, James C. Carter, William G. Choate, Joseph H. Choate, John O. Sargent, Dr. Francis M. Weld, Charles C. Beaman, and Edmund Wetmore. For some years the desirability of permanent quarters has been felt more and more as the club grew in numbers, and included many young graduates who need not so much club facilities as some means of association and acquaintance with those already well started on a career in this city. A meeting place for Harvard men visiting the city was also regarded as a desirable thing. Accordingly the matter was referred to the executive committee last fall. Pains were taken to ascertain the general sentiment of the club, which proved to be very favorable, and finally a house was taken. The club has just been incorporated and newly organized, and at the annual meeting, which takes place at Delmonico's next Friday evening, it will be fairly launched on its new career as one of the established social organizations of the city, with a promising career before it. - N. Y. Post.