Eighty-eight Wins the Class Championship.

EIGHTY-EIGHT, 19; EIGHTY-SEVEN, 6.

Eighty-eight won the class championship for the third consecutive time yesterday afternoon by defeating Eighty-seven.

A large number of spectators were attracted to Jarvis in hopes of seeing a close and exciting game. By the sixth inning more than three-quarters of them had left, and not more than seventy-five remained until the close of the game. All these were juniors, who lustily cheered each member of the victorious team at the close.

The game was a perfect farce. The seniors vied with each other in seeing who could make the most errors, while the juniors were strong at the bat and in the field.

Gallivan played his usual brilliant game. His error, the first which he has made this season, was entirely excusable. Palmer's pitching was very effective, only three good hits being made from his delivery. Thayer supported him well. Foss, Gallivan, Bailey and Litchfield bore off the batting honors.

The juniors were first at the bat. Gallivan led off with a hit but the next three men retired at first. In the second they scored three runs on Foss's three-bagger, a muffed third strike, two put outs and Crocker's single. Three more were added in the third on singles by Stetson and Bailey, a base on balls and a put out.

The seniors braced a little in the fourth and shut Eighty-eight out with three men left on bases. Eighty-eight however, took vengeance for this in the next inning by making seven runs, on three bases on balls, Power's muff of Thayer's fly, two sacrifices and Bailey's single. Another run was added in the sixth on Gallivan's and Bailey's singles. After two men were out in the seventh, Foss made a two-bagger but was left on second by Thayer's out at first. A wild throw, a muffed thrown ball and several passed balls yielded two runs in the eighth. Two base hits and Bisbee's error gave Eighty-eight her last three runs, in the ninth.

Eighty-seven made two runs in the first inning on two fumbles and a wild throw.

During the next five innings they-went out in order, Eighty-eight playing a remarkably strong game, only making one error. A base on balls and a base hit gave the seniors one run in the seventh. A base on balls a single and a blocked ball yielded two more in the eighth.

The seniors came to the bat in the ninth eleven runs behind, determined to make a big brace. The big brace resulted in one run which was made on a muffed thrown ball and Dudley's single. The score:

EIGHTY-EIGHT.

Gallivan, s.s. 7 2 2 2 1 5 1

Austin, 2b. 4 0 1 1 5 3 2

Stetson, 3b. 6 2 1 1 2 2 1

Bailey, l. f. 6 2 2 2 1 0 0

Carpenter, c.f., 6 1 1 1 2 0 0

Foss, 1b. 4 4 3 6 13 0 2

Thayer, c. 6 2 0 0 3 2 4

Crocker, r.f. 6 3 1 1 0 0 0

Palmer, p. 5 3 1 1 0 7 2

- - - - - - -

Total 50 19 12 15 27 19 12

EIGHTY-SEVEN

A.B. R. 1B. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Allen, 1. f 5 1 0 0 1 0 0

Manley, c. 4 1 1 1 5 3 14

Loud, 3b. 3 1 1 1 2 4 5

Power, r.f., p. 4 1 1 1 0 10 6

Coolidge, 2b. 4 0 0 0 4 4 2

Bisbee, 1b. 3 1 0 0 13 0 3

Faulkner, c. f. 4 1 0 0 0 0 1

Dudley, s.s. 4 0 1 1 2 3 0

Litchfield, p.r. f. 4 0 3 3 0 2 2

- - - - - - -

Total 35 6 7 7 27 26 33

Innings. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Eighty-eight 0 3 3 0 7 1 0 2 3-19

Eighty-seven 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 1-6

Earned runs-'88, 5; '87, 1. Two base hit-Foss. Three base hit-Foss. First base on balls-Litchfield, 1; Power, 4; Palmer, 2. First base on errors-'87, 7; '88, 15. Struck out by-Litchfield, 1; Power, 5; Palmer, 2. Double plays-Austin and Foss. Passed balls-Thayer, 3; Manley, 10. Left on bases-'87, 2; '88, 8. Umpire-Mr. Downer, '89. Time-2h., 15m.