The Pierian Concert at Wellesley.

some time ago the Pierian Sodality was asked to give a concert at Wellesley College. Last Monday evening was the time fixed for the entertainment, and in accordance with the arrangements of the managers, the members of the orchestra left Cambridge in a barge at 5 o'clock Monday afternoon. The air was cold and bracing and a pleasant ride was anticipated; but before they reached their destination most of the men were numb with the cold and were thinking with pleasure of the bot little spread that would surely be ready for them when they got to Wellesley. The college was reached shortly after seven o'clock and the men were conducted to a lower floor of the building where they were served with coffee and cake. They eyed the coffee a while and then drank it because it was hot and they were cold. It was rumored that the cake was made by the fair collegians and so the men ate it out of courtesy. Some of them were missing Tuesday. They were probably whiling away the lonely hours in the seclusion of their rooms, debating whether life is worth living. It does not always pay to be courteous. Revived by these refreshments, the men passed the remaining time till eight o'clock, idling about the dressing rooms.

The concert was held in the college chapel, which was well filled with Wellesleyians and a few visitors. The programme was made up of a few solos besides the regular pieces of the Pierian. Most of the music played has been heard in Cambridge. The programme was as follows:

1. Overture-Italians in Algiers (Rossini).

2. Waltz (Volkmann).

3. Dodalinette (Gunod).

4. Scene de Ballett (de Berriot)-Violin solo by Mr. Longworth.

5. Der und Der Waltz (Strauss).

6. Bolero (Moskowski).

7. Caprice (Gottermann)-'Cello solo by Mr. Naumburg.

8. March (Lachner).

The orchestra played unusually well, and their efforts were heartily applauded. After the concert, which lasted somewhat over an hour and a half, the men carried their instruments to the dressing rooms and returned, prepared to enjoy themselves during the rest of the evening. Legions of fair damsels were standing about, carefully guarded by griffin instructors, large women and formidable withal, The men stood around a while waiting for further developments, in the meantime casting furtive glances at the bashful maids across the hall. After a while, when it became apparent that nothing further was expected of the men, except that they should go home, they cheerfully departed, congratulating each other on the delightful evening they all had spent. On the way home they gave vent to their pent up enthusiasm in a serenade to the young ladies of Lasselle.

When the men reached Cambridge their extravagant feelings were somewhat subdued by the cold. Nevertheless the unanimous verdict was that, barring the fact that they had been almost frozen on the way to Wellesley, and that the sumptuous spread with which they were served would probably give them all dyspepsia, and that they had to pose around the corridors as statuettes after the concert instead of charming the Wellesleyians with Harvard wit, and finally that, when they reached Cambridge, the driver had been obliged to roll them all out of the barge like barrels they were so stiff with the cold, in spite of these things-I say, the unanimous verdict is that everyone had a fine time, and everyone would look forward with eager anticipation to the day when the Pierian Sodality shall again play for the fair maids of Wellesley.