No Headline

No better start could possibly have been made in the track athletic season than the enthusiastic meeting that was held in Lower Massachusetts last evening. The tone of the meeting was one which should banish the last remnant of that intolerable cant of "Harvard indifference." Harvard's record in track athletics is a splendid one, in spite of recent defeats, and the whole-hearted applause with which those who have helped to make that record were received last night showed that the men now in college upon whom the responsibility for keeping up the record rests, will do their duty as one man in the coming season.

The idea of having former members of the team address the first meeting of the candidates has proved an excellent one, and we see no reason why it should not become an established practice. Harvard men are not indifferent to the success of the University in athletics or anything else, but the diversity of interests in the intellectual life, undoubtedly has a tendency to work against concentration. The occasional return of old "grads" counteracts this tendency by reminding the undergraduates that they are parts of one body and as such should pull together whenever the honor of the whole is at stake.