Fact and Rumor.

The second 'varsity eleven goes to training table today.

Women will hereafter be admitted to the higher courses at Columbia.

The trustees of Dartmouth College are building a $30.000 hotel.

The new gymnasium at Trinity has a theatre attached to it.

The Boylston laboratories will be open hereafter on Saturday afternoons until 5 o'clock.

Only 720 of the 1,240 that took the entrance examinations for the College of the City of New York passed.

The freshman class at Dartmouth numbers but fifty men. This the smallest number entering for many years.

Senator Hoar of Massachusetts is decorated with more college titles than any other member of either house of Congress.

At the Danvers bicycle races last Saturday, E. A. Bailey, '91, won the one mile handicap race from scratch, and the two-mile open race.

J. S. Mitchell of the Irish Athletic Team has again broken the record for putting the 56-pound weight, by a put of 26 ft. 10 in.

A blue book will be found in University 5 for members of the faculty, in which they will please state how many tickets for the Coquelin lecture they desire.

In the playing for second place in the tennis doubles yesterday, Orcutt and Potter defeated Lee and Tallant. Tailer and Chase withdrew from the contest.

The Yale prohibition club has challenged the republican club of the university to a joint debate on the question, "Is the Prohibition Party a National Necessity?" or any phase of this issue which shall be agreed upon by representatives of the two clubs. No action has as yet been taken upon the challenge.

Outing is devoting its energies more and more to college matters. It will publish in November an article on "Athletics in the English Universities," and one in December on "Harvard Athletics. These will be followed each month by articles on athletic growth and development in all the principal colleges.

English 12 will be divided into sections which will meet Mr. Wendell on successive Wednesdays as follows: Section 1, Abbot to Burnham, Oct. 24 and Dec. 12; section 2, Cabot to Hartridge, Oct. 31 and Dec. 5; section 3, Hecht to Suck, Nov. 7, and Jan. 2; section 4, Magee to Nutt, Nov. 14 and Dec. 19; section 5, Page to Sturgis, Nov. 21 and Jan 16; section, 6, Thayer to Zinkeisen, Nov. 28 and Jan. 9.

Many of the Republicans of the University are highly indignant at the assumption made by some of the speakers at the meeting of the Tariff Reform Association on Friday evening. It is asserted that the meeting could in no way be spoken of as representing the thought and feeling of the University as a whole, and in order to show the strength of the Republican element in the University it is proposed that a Republican club be organized. A call for a meeting of Republicans, now being circulated among the Law School men, has already found seventy signatures, and a large number of the Republicans of the Law School have not yet had an opportunity to sign.