The Student in College Government.

The following article is taken from the New York Mail and Express. The recent resignation of a body of the students' conference committee at Princeton and the vacillation and weakness of the college senate at Amherst must indicate to the authorities the difficulties and embarassments which attend the policy of allowing the undergraduate to participate in his own government. The tendency for the last five years has been toward some form of co-operation in college government and discipline between faculty and student. The system was several years ago adopted at Amherst, and in Williams, Princeton, Harvard, Vermont and some other colleges some form of student representation exists. Experience, however, has not demonstrated its usefulness or expediency, and we look for the abolition of all student advisory committees in the near future. So far as we have observed, the functions of the student committee do not extend further than intercession for offenders condemned at the faculty bar, and in such cases their recommendations too often fail to partake of the quality of disinterestedness to have great influence. It is hardly consistent with the dignity or authority of a college faculty to call in the assistance of under-graduates in the conduct of college affairs, or submit its decisions for under-graduates approval. We believe in a strong centralized faculty government. We believe in it much more soulfully now than when we were in college.