The Freshman Nine.

Below is given a list of the candidates for the freshman nine, with the positions for which the men are trying.

Pitcher, J. P. Keefe, E. E. McCarthy, J. W. Kingsbury, R. Austin, and F. L. Hindekoper.

Catcher, J. C. Fairchild, A. A. Morton, C. A. Flammer, F. W. Kiesel, F. W. Griffin, and W. J. O. Malley.

First Base, T. Motley, R. C. Thomas, L. T. Hildreth, J. Warren, E. D. Armstrong, R. Duff, Holmes, H. W. Salmon, H. H. Fuller, Morse, and H. Clarkson.

Second Base, H. Diblee, G. L. Wrenn, W. S. Soule, H. E. Addison, and P. W. Booth.

Third Base, F. S. Hoppin, P. H. Clark, J. O. Macurdy, S. Bell, A. S. Ingalls, E. C. Hindekoper.

Short Stop, F. B. Whittemore, A. N, Winslow, and S. V. Mann.

Out Field, A. Borden, G. Paine, L. B. Murdock, S. Heckscher, G. Whiting, J. F. Osborn, R. B. Merriman, H. Selfridge, F, H. Smith, W. Greenough, E. C. Cowdin. J. M. Sturgis, E. F. Bartol, G. C. Scott, J. F. Cronin.

Most of the candidates have formerly played on school teams, and the material as a whole is above the average of freshman nines. The thinning-out process will be begun next week, when the number of men will be cut down to fifteen. At present the daily training consists of practice in stopping grounders and starting in various ways. Short exercises with the dumb-bells or chestweights follow, and the work ends with a run outside. Three times a week the men practice sliding, both straight and around the bases. For the rest, all are required to keep in good condition, but no detailed training out of hours is prescribed. During the midyears the batteries were coached by Keefe every morning.

It is probable that some eighteen men will be kept in training in Cambridge during the spring recess, but as yet the schedule of games for the season has not been decided on.