Meeting of the National Academy of Sciences at New Haven.

On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week the annual meetings of the National Academy of Sciences were held at New Haven, in North Sheffield Hall. All members of Yale University were invited to attend the meetings, at which papers on the following scientific subjects were read: "The Lunar Eclipse, July 22, 1888," by Prof. E. S. Holden; "A Finished Breed of Horses," by Prof. W. H. Brewer of the Sheffield Scientific School. This paper was particularly interesting and received much applause. The last paper of Tuesday's session was one by Prof. Gibbs of Yale, and Mr. H. E. Hare; the subject was "A Systematic Study of the Action of Definitely Related Chemical Compounds upon Animals." Mr. Gibbs read this. After the reading of this paper a short discussion was held upon the subject by members of the Academy.

On Wednesday the following papers were read: "The Zone Undertaking of the Astronomishce Gegellschaft," by Louis Boss, and "The Rainfall of the North Atlantic Ocean," by Prof. Elias Loomis of the Yale Academically Department.

On Thursday morning a private business meeting was held, but in the afternoon other papers were read and the students were invited to hear them.

The National Academy of Sciences was founded by the United States Government in 1863. Louis Agassiz, the noted naturalist, being its chief instigator. At the society's origin only fifty members were admitted, now the limit is one hundred, the present membership being ninety-six, of whom twelve are from Harvard. The members of the society offer to investigate without recompense, any scientific questions which the government authorities may present to them.