THE HARVARD FRESHMEN WIN!.

Harvard '92, 36; Yale '92, 4.

The Harvard freshman eleven defeated the freshman team from Yale on Jarvis field Saturday by a score of 36 to 4. The day was perfect for foot-ball, the wind being light and the ground in fine condition. A large number of spectators watched the game, among whom were many ladies.

The Harvard team played a sharp steady game from the beginning and its superiority to the Yale eleven was soon plainly evident. It forced the fighting throughout the contest and Yale was unable either to stop the rushes of the Harvard backs or force the ball through its rush line. The following men composed the teams:

Harvard.- Curtis. Allen, Carpenter and Travis: Heard, Hunt (center), Cranston, Newell, Brooks (captain); Harding quarter-back; Wadsworth, Lee and Dennison half-backs; Forbes full-back.

Yale.- Preston, Funk, Hefflefinger, Thompson. (center) Kidd, Hale, Bayne, Graves quarter-back; McClung, Morrison and Crosby half-backs: Francke full-back.

Mr. Phinney was referee and Mr. Willard umpire.

Play was called at 2 45, Yale with the ball, Harvard in the west end of the field favored by a light wind. Yale used the V trick but gained only four yards, kicked. Harvard getting the ball forced it up the field by rushes of Newell, Wadsworth and Lee to Yale's five-yard line when it went to Yale on a foul. Yale made a short punt and Wadsworth by a sharp run caught the ball on the twenty-yard line, when it again went to Yale on four downs. Sharp work by Cranston and Curtis forced Yale back and she was again compelled to punt after three downs. Lee got the ball and carried it up to the twenty-five-yard line. Rushes by Lee, Allen, Dennison and Wadsworth forced the ball close to the line and Newell carried it over, scoring the first touchdown for Harvard. No Goal. Yale by short rushes forced the ball from the twenty-five-yard line to the center of the field and then punted. Cranston stopped the kick and Newell dropped on the ball. Rushes by the three backs and Allen forced the ball close to Yale's line where it was lost on four downs. Yale kicked and Dennison getting the ball carried it to the twenty-five-yard line. Newell, Wadsworth and Harding forced the ball to the four-yard line when it went to Yale on a foul. Yale by rushing and punting forced Harvard back to the forty-yard line where Allen was hurt and Baker took his place. From here Lee by the "crises-cross" trick carried the ball to the four-yard line and Cranston rushed it over the goal-line in thirty-three minutes. No goal. Score, Harvard 8, Yale 0. Yale forced the ball ten yards from the twenty-five-yard line and then punted. Wadsworth having a fair catch in the center of the field passed the ball to Harding who gained five yards. Rushes by Dennison, Wadsworth, Lee, Harding and Newell forced the ball close to the line and Cranston again carried it over. No goal. Brooks got the ball from the try at goal and scored another touchdown. Time forty minutes. No goal. Score 16-0 Yale started the ball from the twenty-five-yard line, but fumbled and Cranston dropped on the ball. Newell and Lee forced the ball to the three-yard line where it went to Yale on a foul. Yale had forced Harvard back twenty-five yards when time was called.

Play for the second half was called at 3.45, Harvard with the ball. The rushers made a V and Harding gained ten yards. Lee, Dennison and Wadsworth carried the ball to the eight-yard line where it went to Yale on four downs. Yale kicked and Dennison getting the ball by a good run carried it to the five-yard line and Newell made a touchdown five minutes after play was called. No goal. At this point Crosby took McClung's place. Newell stopped Hefflefinger's rush from the twenty-five-yard line and Yale kicked. Lee caught the ball on the thirty-yard line and rushes by Newell and Lee gained fifteen yards. Here Newell was hurt and Allen took his place. Yale getting the ball on four downs forced it up the field and by a long punt kicked it over the Harvard line, Harvard's ball on her 25 yard line. Rushes by Wadsworth, Harding, Lee, and Allen advanced the ball forty yards but the ball again went to Yale on four downs. At this point Forbes took Dennison's place, and soon after Travis took the place of Allen who was injured again. Crosby carried the ball to Harvard's three-yard line where he was well tackled by Forbes. Hefflefinger carried the ball over the line, scoring the first point for Yale, in twenty-two minutes The goal was missed. Score, Harvard, 20; Yale, 4. Cranston, Baker and Forbes forced the ball to the middle of the field and Lee, carrying it half the length of the field, made a touchdown from which Wadsworth kicked a goal. Yale punted well from the centre of the field and Harvard had the ball down on her five-yard line. Rushes by Harding, Wadsworth, Forbes Lee and Baker forced the ball to Harvard's twenty-yard line, from which Lee, by a fine rush, made a touchdown. Goal. Score, 32-4. Yale again punted from the middle of the field, and Harvard had the ball down close to her goal. A good rush by Harding advanced the ball fifteen yards, and Yale got the ball in the centre of the field from a punt. Yale kicked, and Harvard getting the ball on her twenty-five yard line, forced it up the field by rushes of Baker, Harding, Lee; Forbes, and Wadsworth to the eight-yard line Harding, by another good rush, carried it over the line just before time was called. No goal. Final score, Harvard. 36; Yale, 4.

For Yale, McClung, Crosby, and Graves did the best work. The work of all the men on the Harvard team was so good that it is hard to praise any one in particular without doing injustice to the rest. The work of Cranston and Heard against Hefflefinger, deserves notice; as well as the rushing and tackling of Newell and Allen. Harding played an admirable game, using the men well and rushing strongly himself. The half-back work of Wadsworth and Lee was strong and often brilliant; Dennison also did good work. The team as a whole played a sharp aggressive game, tackling and, as a rule, blocking well. The victory the eleven has gained is a notable one and the men deserve much credit for their work.