Communications.

We invite all members of the University to contribute to our columns, but we do not hold ourselves responsible for any sentiments advanced incommunications. Anonymous contributions will not be accepted.

EDITORS DAILY CRIMSON:- Will you kindly allow me space to reply to the communication signed "K." in your issue of Monday last.

The cost of board at Memorial during the three days in September and the month of October was $4.25 penman. By admission of your correspondent, fish and fruit do not appear at the table described by "K." Deducting the cost of fish and fruit, which is 28 cents, with the following charges we get the cost of each man's board at Memorial and can see how it compares with the outside article:-

Cost of board during September and October, 1887, $4.25

Fish and fruit, 28

Water, 02

Crockery 02

Interest, 09

Reduction of debt, 05

Repairs, 05

Sunday allowances, 14

.65

Cost per man, $3.60

November, 1887.Total cost per man, $4.16

Fish and fruit, 24

Water, 02

Crockery, 02

Interest, 09

Reduction of debt, 05

Repairs, 05

Sunday allowances, 15

.62

Cost per man, $3.54

Then, on the matter of service, the outside table can hire a cook and waitress for twenty-five men at not over $10 per week. This is forty cents per man for service, while at the dinning-hall the cost for service per week is seventy cents per man. This includes the salaries of all officials from the steward and auditor down. One waiter has 14 men, and he receives $4.50 per week, while at the club table one waitress has 25 men and receives not over $4 per week.

A committee on the part of the directors has investigated the fare at such tables as described by "K.," and their opinion is that the fare does not compare in any respect with that served at Memorial Hall.

GEORGE LOCKHART ALLEN. President H. D. A.