Journalism as a Profession.

There are many college men who, when it comes their senior year, finding themselves undecided as to what avocation to follow in life, turn their thoughts to journalism. Generally, however, they find some other occupation in which they can get a little better start, leave the field of journalism, and consequently fewer college-bred men are to be found in that profession than in any other. The Unicersity has taken the trouble to write to the editors of several of the leading newspapers, asking them for their opinions as to the chances of success of college graduates. The following reply is from Mr. George Jones, of the New York Times, and will serve to set aright many erroneous ideas on the subject:-

"The editor of the London Times once tried the experiment of taking the highest honor graduates of Oxford and Cambridge and trying to make journalists of them. I understand that in every case the experiment failed. Many college graduates have been found wanting, when tested, in those qualities which make the successful newspaper man. An early battle with the world often brings out in a young man that degree of "push," quick judgment and self-reliance which make him more likely to succeed as a reporter than one who has spent all his life in the study of books.

"Still, it is necessary that any kind of a workman should have good tools, and a college education undoubtedly furnishes much that a journalist needs in his profession. Horace Greeley, after he had risen to promineuce as an editor, felt his deficiency in that regard. Some of the brightest and most graceful editorial writers have been men whose training and equipment was had at college. Henry J. Raymond was a notable example of this. I might mention also Manton Marble. Mr. Schuyler, of our paper, is a college man and a writer of so graceful and pure English that editorials of his have attracted the attention of expresident Andrew D. White. Mr. White characterized them as excellent examples of a cultured style. There is no reason why a college man should not make a good journalist, if he is content to begin at the bottom and learn those details of the business which can be secured nowhere except in a newspaper office and which are essential to subsequent success.

The second letter which we publish, short and pithy, is from Mr. Frank Hatton, of the New York Press. He says:-

"I believe that a college-educated man, if the education does not spoil him as it does a great many men-if, with his education, he can get down to every-day practical things-will succeed in journalism. Education is certainly a good thing; but education that keeps a man in the clouds all the time will not do for the hurly-burly of daily newspaper work."