The Chapel Service Last Evening.

There was a large congregation at the regular Sunday evening service in the chapel last evening. The preacher was Rev. William Lawrence. His text was Mark vi: 56. After narrating the story of Christ's second visit to Nazareth and of His seeming powerlessness to do many wonderful deeds then on account of the unbelief of the people, the speaker turned to examine the reasons for the slow progress the world has made since Christ's time in realizing the ideal of true Christianity. The chief trouble today is that there is an almost universal skepticism as to the possibility of perfect spirituality, of complete subjection to God's law. Earnest men may work an immense deal of good, but wonderful works are few because men doubt the power of Christ to regenerate the world from its very depths. The same slowness of growth in morality will last, the speaker said, until there comes a general acceptance of an idea of perfect righteousness; until men, seeking themselves, sensitive to every impurity, are willing to find the goal of their existence in true sainthood.