Matters Connected with the BaseBall Cage.

The candidates for positions on the nine other than those of pitcher and catcher have not yet begun training. Consequently the cage has not that animated appearance which it will take on a month hence when the men begin sliding to bases, practicing handball, batting, etc. The majority of the men will take up this work about the first of February. The candidates for pitcher and catcher, the names of whom appeared in a recent issue of the CRIMSON, are doing good work and making marked progress under the skilful instruction of Mr. Clarkson. Those with whom Clarkson is thrown in contact are unanimously of the opinion that the evil results supposed to be attendant upon the hiring of a professional coach are entirely fallacious. The most exacting could find no fault with the deportment and general bearing of our professional coach. There are four candidates for pitcher; to each of these Mr. Clarkson devotes one half-hour three times weekly. He also has charge of the catchers. The rumor that he was to be assisted by Arthur Irwin has no foundation. Mr. Irwin is not needed, even if his presence here should be permitted by the Athletic Committee.

The cage itself is in good condition. Captain Willard has caused to be hung around the wire sides of the cage a thick cotton cloth. The benefits derived are two-fold. The light thereby is kept within the cage, an essential factor in afternoon practice. In addition, this seclusion admits of closer application to duties, since the presence of a large crowd of commenters is sure to distract the attention of the candidates.

No dates have as yet been made with professional nines, though several are under negotiation. Captain Willard proposes to play three or four games of this sort on a projected trip to take place during the April vacation. If satisfactory arrangements can be made, there will be, in all probability, nine or ten games with professional clubs during the season. As there is no New England League of professional teams this year, our opponents will necessarily be drawn entirely from the league nines. This will necessitate the playing of such games before May 1, the date of the opening of the League season.

The College League will hold a meeting at the Parker House on next Saturday evening, Jan. 19, at ten o clock.