Book Review.

Messrs. Houghton, Miffin and Co. have recently published a new edition of Allen and Stoddard's Latin Grammar, revised and improved by Henry Preble. As the prospectus states, the grammar is characterized throughout by a combination of scientific accuracy, clearness and simplicity. The arrangement of the new grammar differs radically from that which is usually adopted in such works. The four conjugations are here printed side by side on the same page to enable the student to compare them and note the general similarity. Such an innovation must make the path of the Latin student far smoother than it used to be. A certain amount of system is also introduced into the chaotic third declension, by grouping the consonant stems simply according to their behavior to the letters, and by presenting the i stems in progressive series, thus greatly simplifying the difficulties. Other equally original changes have been introduced, which add greatly to the value of the grammar as a text book.

[Allen and Stoddard's Latin Grammar, revised by Henry Preble. Boston. Houghton, Mifflin and Co., Riverside Press.]