The Collegian.

The first number of the Collegian, the new college magazine, has appeared, and gives great promise of a successful career. It is published in the interests of undergraduates of American colleges, and is conducted under the auspices of the New England Intercollegiate Press Association. The first article, which will appeal most to Harvard men, is contributed by Dr. E. E. Hale, and is entitled "Harvard Reminiscences of Fifty Years ago." It contains a brief but very interesting account of the position of clubs in college life half a century ago, and sketches of Edward Tyrrel Channing, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and Jared Sparks; and it also points out the difference which the closer communication between Cambridge and Boston has effected. "From My Attic Window" is an ambitious attempt at description by "A Harvard Junior." The literary portion of the magazine is completed by an essay on "A Worker in Stone," two stories, "Seth Grinnell," and "'Mid Musty Manuscripts," and several bits of verse. There are letters from the captains of the Columbia, Dartmouth and Cornell crews, accompanied by some statistics, supporting the view that athletics do not have a bad effect upon studies. The Eclectic and Critical Department contains comments on the various college papers, and clippings from many exchanges. The first extract is an editorial from the CRIMSON of Nov. 22. An editorial from the Advocate is also quoted at length. The Yale Record is mentioned as "Yale's Lampoon." Finally comes a record of the championship games of foot-ball for the past season, with the names of the players, the scores, and unprejudiced comments from college papers of the time.