Result of the Scratch Races.

The scratch races which took place yesterday afternoon front of the boat house brought out more enthusiasm than has been shown for many years at Harvard. The boat houses were crowded with spectators, some even finding places on the roof. It is unprecedented that men should be so eager to row that it should become impossible to accommodate all who signed. The freshmen as usual created much laughter by their awkward attempts to appear to be practiced oarsmen. The crews started from boat house, upper class crews 1 and 2 in charge of Captain Crehore, '90; 3 and 4, under Captain Bishop, '91, and 5 and 6 under Captain Powers, '92. There was a long delay in getting the boats into position so that it was nearly five o'clock before the three crews, 1, 3 and 5 were started. Number 3 got a decided lead at the start. As the crews came opposite the floats, number 5, of which Watriss, '92. was acting as stroke, began to get ahead and finally won the heat. Crew number 3 came in second.

The freshmen were then started off in threes in the order named in yesterday's CRIMSON. They took their positions from the shore in the order of their numbers. All the crews splashed badly and the contortions of the men formed a subject for much merriment. The event was won by number 3, coached by S. D. Parker, '91; number 2 was second.

The heat between the rest of the upper class crews, numbers 2, 4, and 6, was then rowed. It was the best of the afternoon. Number 6 had a decided advantage at first but opposite the boat house, number 2, with Longworth as stroke, passed everything and won.

The next race was between the remaining three freshman crews, in which number 6 won. It was a close race between number 6 and number 5 and at the finish number 6 had only half a length.

It was dark before the final heats were commenced. The race between the upper-class crews, number 5 and 2, was well rowed; number 2 won.

Both final freshman crews pulled hard and crossed the line exactly together. The race will have to be rowed again this afternoon at 4.15 under the same conditions as the race today. Cups will be given to each of the men composing the winning crews. The upper class crew which won was made up of the following men: Crew number 2- Longwoth, Perkins, Carpenter, Winthrop, Vaughan, Barr, Duff, and Cromwell. Captain Herrick was referee, and G. T. Keyes, '89, judge at finish.