A New Boat House.

A. W. WELD.

The piles are being driven for the foundation of the new boat house, a gift of Mr. A. W. Weld of Boston to the University. The site chosen is just below the Boylston street bridge and all the river front from the bridge to the coal wharf has been purchased so that there will be no interference. The building will be a substantial two story one so planned that additions can be made when needed. The first floor is to be entirely used for storing the boats and will accomodate about fifty. On the second floor will be a large hall (40x40), around which will be placed the lockers, and two bath rooms. There will be a balcony on the water side.

The property is placed in the hands of five trustees, graduates of Harvard and men interested in rowing, who intend to form a club of which any student in the university may become a member by paying a fee. The members, and members only, are to have free use of the boats. Enough boats. comprising eights, fours, pairs and singles are to be put in to accomodate seventy men. The object of the giver is to create an interest in rowing among men outside of the crews, so that the 'Varsity may have a larger field of practiced men to choose from.