Docents.

Clark university is the first institution in this country to establish the title of docent, which is its highest annual appointment. It is primarily intended as an honor to be awarded to those worthy of more prominent and lucrative positions as professors or assistant professors in colleges. It may be bestowed without examination upon a few men who have advanced beyond the requirements of a doctorate and who satisfy the requirements of the university by a thesis a public address, or in any other way, of both their scientific attainments and their teaching abilities, and, if necessary, may be accompanied by a salary.

Docents may be provided with individual rooms, and special apparatus may be purchased for their research if desired and approved. They may also be equipped and sent on scientific ex-peditions. They are expected during the year, to deliver a limited number of lectures on some special chapter of their departments but their time will be reserved for study and research a way best adapted to qualify them still more fully for academic advancement.