The Growth of Cornell.

The official announcement of the number of students in Cornell this year suggests some interesting comparisons between the university of today and that of ten years ago. In 1880 there were fourteen graduate, and three hundred and eighty-five undergraduate students at Cornell, and the corps of instructors numbered forty-eight. So far this year the total number of students registered is 1306. an increase of 132 over the number in the university at the same time last year. The number of professors and instructors is 102, and there are 23 other officers engaged in administrative and special work. The number of graduate students is 78, an increase of 50 per cent, over last year. The Law school begins its third year with an attendance of 104, an increase of 25 per cent. over last year.

From New York there are 785 students, Pennsylvania sends 87, Ohio 72, Illinois 52, New England, 74, Canada 23, Japan 10. Thirty-eight states and territories are represented, and fourteen foreign countries.

The number of women in the university is 147, or 11.2 per cent, of the total. This is an increase of .8 per cent, over last year. There is very little variation in the proportion of women from year to year. Sage college accommodates one hundred of the above number.

The most remarkable evidence of the wonderful growth of the university is found in the increase in the productive funds and income during the last ten years. Since 1879 the productive funds have increased $3.754,707; and instead of an income of $110,224 received in 1878-79, the university received during the last year $362,303.

During these ten years the additions to the college buildings and equipment have been most substantial. Franklin Lincoln, and Barnes halls, the gymnasium, half of the main building of Sibley college, and its shops and laboratories, besides some lesser buildings have been erected, while a magnificent library and a commodious chemical laboratory are now in construction. The benefactors of Cornell have been wisely obtained from tying up their gifts for special purposes. Nearly the whole of the annual income can be employed by the trustees as they deem most expedient. It is for this reason that Cornell has been able to build up the magnificent technical schools which now draw so many students there. The most notable increases in the numbers of students have been in the numbers of students have been in the arts course and in the Sibley college courses. This remarkable growth has given Cornell a place among the American universities. Her future progress will be watched with no little interest.