The Hermitage.

The CRIMSON has received from the secretary's office the following letter which will be of interest to every citizen of the United States. Accompanying the communication is a catalogue of about four hundred relics of President Jackson now in the option of the Hermitage Association, and a letter from Governor Taylor of Tennessee commending the work of the society. Nashville. Tenn., Dec. 3, 1889.

To the President and students Harvard, Boston, Mass.

DEAR SIRS.- The state of Tennessee has purchased the Hermitage the home of General Andrew Jackson and turned it over to the Ladies' Hermitage Association, an organization composed of prominent ladies of the different states, whose object is to purchase the valued furniture and relics of General Jackson now in the Hermitage, also to restore to its original beauty and grandeur, the historic mansion now quite dilapidated, and save to the nation a sacred spot where cluster memories of holy domestic life and unwavering patriotism.

As Mt. Vernon is sacred so do we desire to save this the nation's other Mecca, thereby repudiating the oft repeated aphorism, "Republics are ungrateful,"

We make held to ask your honorable body, to celebrate by an entertainment or otherwise, for this fund, the 8th of January, 1890, the anniversary of a day made memorable by Jackson's glorious victory.

We shall greatly appreciate a contribution. Even your recognition would be of incalculable value in adding us to raise the fund necessary to perpetuate the memory of the patriot whose thrilling utterance "The union must and shall be preserved," is now the watchword of this grand republic. I hand you bye laws, Governor Taylor's endorsement. etc., Awaiting your early and we sincerely trust, favorable reply, I am, dear sirs,

Very respectfully,

Mrs. C. P. WRIGHT, Secretary at large, 409 S. Spruce St.