Mr. Villard's Lecture.

"GERMANY OF TODAY."

The first of the series of lectures held under the auspices of the Deutscher Verein took place last night. A large audience gathered in Sever 11 to greet Mr. Villard, and listened to a very interesting lecture upon "Germany of Today."

The speaker said in brief: Germany of today offers a wonderful sight. Situated in the midst of powerful states, she has risen above all her neighbors in every respect-in power, in arts, in literature. Twenty-five years ago she was almost the toy of her neighbors. Now,' however, owing to her powerful army and navy and to a liberal policy, she can be fairly called the leading state in Europe. Another important factor in this resuscitation was the growth of national feeling. The Germans of all ranks and conditions-prince and burgher, wealthy and poor-all began to be filled with a desire for union, for a strong centralized government. The causes of the growth of nationality lie in the political events of 1858, when William came to the throne, when the reactionary ministry of Mannteuffel gave way to the liberal policy of Autin von Hohenstaufen in Prussia's successful war of 1864 against Schleswig-Holstein and in the Prussian war of 1866. In the war of 1870 this national feeling shows itself perhaps at its best. This desire for union is manifest in the welcome which the emperor receives in all parts of Germany; also in this, that today northener and southerner-formerly bitter enemies-are today the best of friends.

Berlin is not only the political centre but the brains of the whole country. Here resides the emperor. His power is much more restricted than that of the President of the United States. Corresponding to our two houses are the Bundesrath and the Reichstag, established in 1871. In their short life they have accomplished a great deal, viz.: they established a uniform duty so that all the states can enjoy equal privileges; they introduced a uniform monetary system, and reformed the department of justice. The army had a great deal to do with the rise of nationality. All are compelled to serve their term, so that both soldiers and officers have among them the most cultured Germans. During the last twenty-five years all the German cities have made great improvements. Large buildings have been erected; the population has increased to a great extent. Wages have doubled and beggary has disappeared. A huge network of railroads covers Germany and has caused an enormous increase of commerce. In literature a great improvement has taken place. Schools, universities, polytechnics have all increased in number of attendants, and many good works have been published. This resuscitation of Germany has caused her neighbors to try to rival her and has brought up the rather strained condition of European politics.

In closing, Mr. Villard gave a short sketch of the first new emperor and of his chancellor, and showed how one was necessary to the other.