Cornell's Crew.

Nearly twenty-five candidates are at present in training for the Cornell crew, in charge of Commodore Psotta, who holds the amateur championship of America in single sculls. and Mr. Nelligan, the university athletic trainer. Commodore Psotta is also in training for the amateur championship of the world, and will contest for the pennant in the Henley regatta, to be rowed on the Thames next summer; he will also represent Cornell in other regattas abroad.

Cornell will send out her first university crew next season, and expects great things from it, evidently thinking a crew able to row more than two races in a season without any injury to itself. Some time ago, in fact quite a number of years, a freshman eight beat Harvard, but the university crews have always rowed in "sixes" or "fours."

Among the twenty-three candidates for the crews are several fine athletes, who are more or less known. The best oarsman and probable stroke is G. H. Thayer, '90, weight 154 pounds. Thayer is a powerful, well-built man, possessing a clear head and excellent judgment. He was a member of last year's crew. W. R. Tobey, '90, who was the captain of last year's crew, will also row this year, as will D. Upton, '90, a man of great endurance. J. F. Dewy, '92, who goes by the name of "Gruth James," is also a promising candidate, and has won more athletic prizes than any other athlete in Cornell.

The following is a list of the other candidates and their former athletic experience: Galbreath, '91, weight 177 pounds, is an athlete of powerful frame and the best of judgment. He played center rush on the eleven last season, and has trained with the oar. J. Ford, '90, is a man of great endurance and has a cool head, is raw at rowing, but is expected to make one of the strongest men in the boat. T. E. Clark, '90, is a successful anchor in tug-of-war contests. A. W. Marston, '92, is showing up among the best of the new men. A. Vickers, '89; J. D. Bell, '90; H. L. Barker, '90, and W. S. Dole, '92, have all trained for class crews. F. E. Brooks, '90; P. Hagerman, '90; H. A. Benedict, '91; J. S. McDowell, Law School, and B. M. Harris, '90, are all well-known athletes and promising oarsmen. C. T. Brace, '91; W. D. Mount, '90; L. J. Kerr, '91; W. P. Sands, '91; J. K. Garnsey, '91, and E. H. Morgan, '91, are new men.

From such an array of men, Cornell expects to put a fine crew on the water next spring, and among the contests will row a triangular race with the University of Pennsylvania and Columbia.