Dr. Ward's Last Lecture on Anthroplogy.

That Dr. Ward has succeeded in exciting a popular interest in Anthropology has been abundantly shown by the large audiences that have gathered in Upper Boylston Hall on the evenings of his lectures. Last night proved no exception to the rule, and by half-past seven the hall was well filled. Dr. Ward had chosen, as the subject for his closing lecture, "The Benefits of Anthropological Study."

The lecturer said that the knowledge is valuable only in proportion to the light it throws on the science of living, and that Anthropology bases its claims to recognition on the great profit man would derive from an intelligent study of its laws. It is sometimes claimed that Anthropology covers too much ground, that a complete knowledge of man would include all that is known in every debarment of scientific research. But could not the same be said with equal force of History and Philosophy? do not they, in their broadest sense, also include all knowledge?

Anthropology is not limited to the study of man's physical nature, as it formerly was, nor to that of his moral and mental activities. These are merely phases of modern anthropological study, for Anthropology embraces all the relations of man to nature. It may seem strange that a study of such vital importance to humanity should be of such recent origin. But, as the child does not wonder much about itself until it has in some degree satisfied its curiosity about the things around it, so the human race has but lately begun to study itself, after having, through centuries of labor gathered a little knowledge of surrounding objects. So recent is the study of Anthropology that no university, either in England or America, has as yet established a professorship of Anthropology.

Anthropology may be looked on as being the link which connects all other branches of science, and we may thus through it, obtain a just idea not only of the relative position occupied by each science, but of its importance to the human race. It has the same refining effect as travel, since it brings one in contact with the rest of the world, and so we can make comparisons and from these comparisons form correct estimates of the bearing of one thing upon another.

Anthropology also enables us to study history and religion more intelligently, but we must remember that if Nature does not answer our questions, she does what is better, by telling us how we may lead a broader life. And we may rest assured that Nature understands our nature better than we do.