Intercollegiate Football Rules.

The changes which have been made in the rules to govern all intercollegiate football contests have been completed and will shortly be published. Some important changes are as follows:

The rule providing that the two leading teams play in New York has been so amended that in case one of these teams is Harvard, an arrangement can be made which will prevent the recurrence of the difficulty of last fall.

Rule 4 provides that a touchdown can be made by carrying or kicking the ball "in goal" or "touch in goal."

The referee and umpire will be provided with whistles, so that they may stop the play more promptly when a foul has been made, or, when for any other reason, to be determined according to the rules, the referee or umpire is called upon to interfere.

A change has been made which will allow a man, who has made a touchdown just as time expires, a try at goal.

Rule 16 reads: "Time will be taken out from the moment a touchdown is made until the ball is put in play again in the center of the field. In case the goal is missed, then time is resumed immediately after the failure. The man who holds the ball during the try for goal may be off-side."

The penalties for rough play have been made very severe. The rule reads: "A player will be disqualified for hacking, striking with closed fists, or unnecessary roughness. For intentional tackling below the knees, butting, tripping and throttling, the other side gets twenty-five yards or a free kick. If twenty-five yards would carry the ball over the line, then half the distance from the place where the "off play" occurred, to the goal line will be granted."