Conferance Francaise.

The Conference Francaise held a meeting last evening at which Mr. Sanderson gave an informal talk on the subject of "The Man in the Iron Mask." Mr. Sanderson gave briefly the suppositions which have been advanced concerning the identity of the prisoner. The first mention made of the fact is by Voltaire who says a great deal concerning the deferential way in which he was treated, which would tend to show that he was some man of importance. Among the many theories which have been advanced there are three, any one of which is possible. The first is that the "Man in the Iron Mask" was a brother of Louis XIV., which opinion was strongly advocated by the Duke of Richelieu, a descendent of the famous cardinal of that name. The second is that he was a son of Anne of Austria and Mazzarin and the third which would account for his close confinement, is that he was the true son of Louis XIII and Catherine of Sweden and that he was removed to make room for the son of Anne of Austria and Mazzarine who reigned as Louis XIV. This latter opinion was strongly held by the Count of Glrichen who made extensive studies of the subject. But at best the matter is wrapped in obscurity, and it is very doubtful if the truth of the matter will ever be known. After this talk Prof. Cohn read "L'affair de la Rue de Lourcine" the second play to be presented by the society, which promises to be very amusing and a great success.