"The Duenna;"

OR "THE FREAK, THE FRUMP, AND THE FRIAR.

During vacation the Hasty Pudding Club presented its annual spring theatricals in New York. The operetta-an adaptation of Sheridan's "Duenna"-was well received, and the pretty little theatre of the Berkeley Lyceum was crowded each evening by enthusiastic admirers of Harvard and their friends. The stage of the Lyceum is so small that the choruses were serionsly hampered, and consequently did not appear to the best advantage. However, the performers did themselves more than justice in spite of all obstacles. To quote from one of the best New York newspapers: "It is hard to point out any weak points in last night's performance. The chorus, the principals, the acting and scenery were quite perfect and as for the music so many jolly well rendered tunes were never heard before at any amateur performance.

Inasmuch as there are many men in college who would like to see the theatricals, but who find the price of tickets rather beyond their means, the managers have decided to give a special Cambridge performance in the club-house on Holyoke street, Tuesday evening, April 23, at 8.30 o'clock, For this performance tickets will be sold to members of the University at $1. The performance will also be open to residents of Cambridge-not members of the University-at the usual rate, $2 a ticket. One-half the house will be reserved for those purchasing two-dollar tickets, while the other half will be reserved for the purchasers of one dollar tickets. A notice will be put in the CRIMSON in a day or two in regard to the sale of tickets.

The Boston performances will take place at Union Hall on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings, April 25, 26 and 27, at 8.30 each evening. The seats are all reserved, and the tickets (price $2) may now be obtained at the Parker House and Adams House in Boston, and at Thurston's, 442 Harvard street, Cambridge. The cast of the play is made up as follows:

Squire Portly T. S. Woods, '90

Ralph, his son G. S. Howe, '86 Anthony Archer, Ralph's

friend R. F. Parker, '90 Sir Barney E'Claire, a

rich lrishman B. Weaver, '89 Swipes, his friend and

admirer H. M. Sears, '89 Father Paul, a good

friar J. G. King, '89 Brother Francis, another

friar K. Fairbank, '90 Olivia. Squire Portly's

daughter P. S. Sears, '89 Nancy Brindle, her

friend C. Copeland, '89 Dame Margaret, the duenna,

companion to Olivia O. Prescott, '89 Muslin, her maid G. C. Bullard, '89 Choruses of peasants, girls, flunkeys, watchmen, nuns, and monks.

The music was selected and arranged by M. A. Taylor, '89, and much of the success of the performance is due to his work in this respect and as leader of the orchestra. The scenery was painted from desighs made by W. G. Rantoul, '89.